Demo Content Import
NOTE: Before importing the demo content, make sure you have installed & activated any plugins that you need which are recommended within Appearance > Install Plugins. Especially make sure WooCommerce is installed & activated if you wish for the demo shop content to be imported.
To make the Demo Content Import process as simple as it could possibly be for you, we’ve created a plugin to handle the entire process for you. You have the option to choose from any of the example sites we’ve created, and options to choose the specific items you import.
1. The import process will work best on a clean install. You can use a plugin such as WordPress Reset to clear your data for you.
2. Ensure all plugins are installed beforehand, e.g. WooCommerce - any plugins that you add content to.
3. Be patient and wait for the import process to complete. It can take up to 5-7 minutes.
How long should it take?
The demo import should take around 5-7 minutes to complete. If you find that the import is taking much longer than 5-7 minutes, there’s probably a problem, and you can navigate away from the import page.
If the import does get stuck, you may need to increase the max exectution time. You can do this by adding this code to your wp-config.php file right above the “/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */” line:
If you continue to have trouble, make sure that you have enough memory allocated to php. Please ask your hosting provider to increase:
max_execution_time = 300
memory_limit = 96M
upload_max_filesize = 128M
post_max_size = 1024M
Before running the demo import again, you should reset the database. We recommend the WordPress Reset plugin.
Alternative Importing Method
If the one click demo import does not complete or takes too long, you most likely have a memory limit on your server as explained above. Here is another method to try.
- Go to Tools -> Import
- Choose “WordPress” from the list.
- Upload the demo content .xml using the form provided on that page. The xml file can be found in the theme folder in /Demo Content/electronics or watch/Theme Import Data/content.xml
- You will be asked to map the authors in this export file to users on the blog. For each author, you may choose to map to an existing user on the blog or to create a new user.
- You will then have the choice to import attachments, so click on the “Download and import file attachments” box.
- If the import does not fully complete, repeat these steps again as many times as necessary until you receive the Success message.